Wednesday, May 4, 2011

CSA

Hey peeps. I've hit gold and I want to share it with you. I'm buying a share in a CSA for my family. What's a CSA? I'm glad you asked...

"Community Supported Agriculture" means basically, you buy a share from a local farm and you get a box of delicious, fresh, fruits, veggies and more each week. I have a garden, well if you want to call it that...buuuuut I don't have the space, energy or knowledge to grow everything we like to eat, so this is the next best thing. For a total of $462 {actually we only spend half, $231 'cause we're sharing this with my parents because our box feeds 4 people} we get a box of fresh, organic, local produce from June to November delivered once a week. That's about $10 bucks a week for me to have good healthy, yummy foods to serve to my family. Here's the list of what we'll be getting through out the summer.


  • We grow a variety of transitional organic vegetables, fruits and herbs at our farm. You might find items such as apples, basil, green beans, beets, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower (ranging from purple to orange in color), chard, cilantro, collard greens, our famous corn, blueberries, grapes, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, melons, onions, shallots, parsley, peaches, peas, turnips, peppers, potatoes, pumpkins, radishes, raspberries, fava beans, rhubarb, cucumbers, fennel, nectarines, flax seed, garlic, kale, spinach, zucchini, squash, strawberries, tomatillos, winter squash, tomatoes, blackberries, celery, salad mix, apple cider,etc.
  • We typically try to get anywhere from 10-18 items in the boxes providing you with the best variety possible.
  • Every week you will receive gourmet salad mix. Depending on the size of the box you choose you may receive 1 or 2 half pound bags. 
Now my biggest reason to buy this is because of the all the benefits. It benefits the "small guy farm". It's very nutritional for my family because they pick our food the day before its delivered so the nutrients are still plenty {the food you buy in the store can be a week or more old, losing nutrients everyday}. The price is extremely comparable to what I usually spend on produce. I will actually attempt to grow some things in my garden this year and hopefully be successful, but I don't need 100lbs of corn, or 75 squash, etc. so the amount and variety I'm getting from the CSA is perfect. And lastly, apparently in Lebanon, water is liquid gold, so I will save $ by having the farmer water and let my water be used for things like laundry {oh joy...}

Here's an awesome web site to find a CSA for yourself. http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

I would totally encourage ya'll to look into a CSA for yourself!! If you need help finding one, let me know!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment