Monday, February 14, 2011

Be my Valentine?

Ah, yes its Valentines Day. A day to celebrate love and to be mushy gushy and to wear red and pink...
I've never thought Valentines Day was really that great, or have I ever really cared about it, but being a mom has made me think twice and made me a little more "festive"
My Valentines
Hanging up red and pink hearts and themed towels around the house makes the lack of Christmas warmth and decor a little less harsh. Also a heart shaped candy bowl gives you a reason to eat candy! This morning, for my Valentines I made some buttermilk heart shaped pancakes. Yum! By the way I'm currently OBSESSED with my homemade buttermilk pancake recipe! Its delicious and ever since I realized I can make my own buttermilk, I've never looked at boxed pancake mix the same! Variations are good in this recipe too; whole wheat flour, almond extract, fresh berries...the sky is the limit And there's only a small amount of sugar in it too!

And now that Riley's taking his morning nap, I'm making some valentine sugar cookies for Riley and I to take to some friends and family around town. Oh I can't wait til he can help me with this stuff! It'll come soon enough I'm sure of it.

On another crafty note, I made these....
with my preschool kids on Friday. They turned out SUPER CUTE! And its really easy! All you need is a little cornstarch, water and some red pink and/or white yarn and a heart shaped cookie cutter.

1/4 c cornstarch
1/2 c water
yarn
cookie cutter

Heat the cornstarch and water together until smooth and translucent. Allow to cool and cut the yarn in foot long pieces. When the "glue" is cooled, coat the yarn and run off the excess and place in the cookie cutter on parchment or wax paper until you have a thin layer, push flat and let dry over nite. You can put them in the oven on low (175 F) for a couple hours to speed up the drying process. Cute huh?

However you spend your day enjoy your Valentine and our day of love. Remember Jesus is love and taught us how to love in the first place, AMEN!

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I got so far behind on your blog. What a wonderful idea! I love them! Happy very belated Valentines day.

    ReplyDelete