Wednesday, July 18, 2012

coooooookies

I always loved baking cookies with my mom growing up. There was something about watching her cream the butter and sugar together by hand that just amazed me. She didn't {still doesn't} have a fancy mixer so most of her mixing was done by hand and it always amazed my little 7 year-old stirring abilities just how well she did it....

I on the other hand have a kitchen-aid and I love it with all that I have. If that thing breaks, my heart might do just the same. Thing is every time I've used my mixer to make chocolate chip cookies, they ALWAYS turned out icky. Come to find out you're not supposed to use the whisk attachment, duh. So when I started using the paddle attachment, things got better in the cookie department, but it still wasn't good enough. I want my cookies to be crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside, is that too much to ask people?! So I've been searching high and low for a good cookie recipe. FOUND IT.

Cornstarch. Yes, the same thing you use to thicken sauces and make goo for your children to play in. I found a recipe that claims to be the "best-ever chocolate chip cookie". I was skeptical. But people these are perfect and I'm sure I'll never use another recipe again. 
{Sorry Toll House}

Here it is....

Ingredients: 
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar 
1/4 c. granulated sugar 
1 egg 
1 tsp. vanilla extract 
1 tsp. almond extract {omit, only if you don't like it}
2 c. all purpose flour 
2 tsp. cornstarch 
1 tsp. baking soda 
                                                   1/2 tsp. salt 
                                                   1 bag o chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment {duh!}, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.
3.  Mix flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in separate bowl with a wisk and mix in with butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chunks.
4.  Using a standard-sized cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheet with parchment paper.  Bake for 8-11 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. 

5.  Let cool, on the sheet, on a wire rack for five minutes {don't skip this step, its important!}.  Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely.  Makes approximately 3 dozen.  Try not to eat them all with your two-year old before your hubby gets home.
    
 There is nothing like homemade cookies. Riley helped me make this batch and got to experience the bliss of eating cookie dough. I'm excited for Grace to bake with me someday. My dad used to try and convince me if I ate cookie dough, I'd get salmonella....still waiting for that one dad. Live on the edge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment