Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Apple Crunch Bread

I used to live in Salem. I used to walk downtown once in a while. I used to walk by Great Harvest Bread Co. I used to shamelessly pretend like I didn't know they give out bread samples with butter. I used to think it was ok to buy a $7 loaf of bread.

That was until I had babies and a budget. So now, I fiercely search the internet for mock recipes of food I used to use my tip money {from my glory Red Lobster days} relentlessly to buy....

I made bread in the crock pot from the recipe I found here.

I did add some dried rosemary and olive oil, cause I have this thing about not following to the T someone's recipe.....it was cool, mess free and delicious and it didn't steam up my house from an oven being on. I fully intend on making this more often.

Sometimes though I like to eat sweet bread. It was always a miracle the day that Great Harvest was offering their "Apple Crunch" bread as a sample. I never held back on that day....

Thing is, I don't have $7 to spend on a loaf of bread I probably shouldn't be ok with eating all by myself. Plus its difficult to sneak anything around Tyler and Riley, so my attempt to hoard the bread of Heaven would be in vain. Herein lies my problem, I don't eat Apple Crunch bread anymore. So I've sought to solve my problem, and boy have I....let me share with you this glorious recipe.

Apple Cinnamon Crunch Bread

Dough:
1 pkg (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Filling:
2 apples finely sliced, about 2 cups
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp apple pie spice
1/4 cup butter, softened
{this filling ends up making a liquid of deliciousness at the bottom of the bowl, don't pour it into the bread, don't throw it out and don't drink it, save it to put on the top before baking, it makes the "crunch" part.}


In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

 I did put the dough to rise outside on the patio table 'cause the sun was out, and I like to watch my handiwork rise up!
















Play in the pool while you wait....also prepare the apple filling mixture by mixing all ingredients into one bowl of yummy.

When your dough has doubled in size stir in the filling mixture. There's no way to make this look perfect, apples will be stickin out and that's GREAT! Return to bowl and let rise and double one more time. Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper, poor that liquid on the top and bake at 350* for 30 mins. Remove and let cool completely and ENJOY!


4 comments:

  1. You are a life saver! I'm making this as soon as possible. I too used to live in Salem but haven't had Great Harvest for years. This was always my favorite. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I couldn't be the only person feeling wishing they could have this amazing loaf on a budget or when they live far from any Great Harvest Bakery. Going to try it today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. made before, will make again soon!! Great recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete